As a pregnant mother, many questions constantly plaque the mind in regards to the safety of your child. One such element is Kratom which is usually consumed by multiple people all over the world. It is an evergreen tree found in South East Asia. It belongs to the family of coffee and is consumed on a large scale basis. Kratom is also used as a drug for recreation and is used by people to feel cheery and also as a mild pain reliever. On a traditional basis, it is chewed and consumed for increasing appetite, sexual activity and also for increasing the energy level of the body.
In Thailand, Kratom is a major attraction and is not only served to the guests but also used in the worshipping of God and Goddesses. It is similar in nature to that of coca and khat. It is available in the market in the form of a tea-based cocktail and is also found in traces in cough syrups because of its pain relieving quality. Though many people all across the world consume kratom frequently, yet the question that arises is whether kratom is safe during pregnancy or does it affect the health of the mother indirectly endangering the life of the growing infant.
Read More: 11 Surprising Benefits of a Good Sex Life
Benefits and Side Effects of Kratom During Pregnancy
Kratom during pregnancy
It is a known fact that almost all the drugs that are produced and made available in the market have some side effects that may pose a threat to the health of the consumer. Many drugs are not considered viable for a mother during pregnancy. Drugs that generally divide themselves into smaller particles try and penetrate the placental barrier between the mother and the child. These drugs when entering the placental barrier become extremely toxic for the baby and also the mother increasing the chances of a miscarriage. They hamper with the growth of the foetus and often lead to a deformed baby because it prohibits the circulation of the necessary vitamins and iron to the baby.
As far as researches and reported cases are to be believed kratom has not caused any birth defects in the infant so far. Many users of Kratom believe that despite all the speculations in regards with the drug, it should not be used during pregnancy because of its high alkaloid concentration that hampers the growth of the foetus.
Many users, on the other hand, believe that Kratom can prove to be harmful as they claim that it contains alkaloid which can interfere with the growth and differentiation of the foetus. Studies prove that Kratom at times causes physical and psychological dependency in the consumer. Therefore if the mother continues the consumption of kratom during pregnancy it can lead to a stunted growth in the child after birth or lead to situations as serious as mental retardation. Kratom drug is never prescribed by the doctor and this fact becomes a major warning to all the buyers and consumers. Kratom can cause changes in the blood circulation of the body and its belonging to the coffee family renders it the same properties that coffee possesses. Therefore Kratom is never considered safe for a pregnant mother as it may pose a serious threat to the safety of the mother and child.
Benefits of kratom
Some of the major benefits of the drug kratom are;
- It provides relief from pain
- It cheers the person, enlivens a low spirit and make the consumer feel happy and gay
- Boosts clarity and improves the cognitive skills of the individual
- It is often used to recover from any type of addiction in the body that may be harmful
- It boosts the motivational level of individual
- Increases energy in the body and aids in improving the sexual drive of people
- It improves the immune system of the body and helps prevent the invasion of bacteria in the body.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that make a good treatment alternative for swelling in the body.
- Increases appetite
Though the drug may seem to have a plethora of benefits, yet it must be kept in mind that every coin has two sides and the drug is bound to have some negativities also especially for a pregnant mother who cannot afford to take a risk with the health of the baby.
Side Effects of Kratom
Kratom may seem useful and beneficial to individuals yet for a pregnant mother the same drug may cause severe traumatic experience for her and the baby. Some of the major problems associated with the consumption of kratom during the gestation period of pregnancy.
- The consumption of kratom makes the consumer feel nauseous which a risky situation is for an expecting mother whose body might be drained of nutrients and may affect the growth and development of the baby.
- Sun is the direct source of vitamin E for the body and pregnant mothers are always encouraged to spend a regulated amount of time in the Sun. The use of kratom makes the individual sensitive to the Sum making them incapable of tolerating direct Sun exposure.
- Itching is another major problem caused by the use of this drug
- Constipation can cause stomach cramps and pimples on the body. At times it also curbs the appetite of individuals making them incapable of absorbing the required nutrients rendering them weak.
- The constant use of Kratom increases urination in the body. The number of times you visit the loo after using Kratom is marginally increased which may drain the body from many minerals that are washed away in along with the urine. For pregnant mothers, these frequent visit to the loo may become severe and lead to dehydration that is extremely dangerous for both the mother and the child.
Thus, these were some of the major factors associated with the use of Kratom during pregnancy. A mother should always prohibit herself from the consumption of this drug for the benefit of her and the baby. Breastfeeding mothers should also remain wary of the use of kratom.
Hope this article was of help to you! Please share your comments/queries/tips with us and help us create a world full of Happy, Healthy and Empowered Women!!